Monday, May 30, 2011

The Fat Guy in the Mirror

A few weeks ago I was shaving and looked deeply in the mirror and thought to myself "Who is that fat guy in the mirror and why is he stretching my face all out of shape?"  Just how fat do you have to get before you realize that you have gotten way too fat?  I guess that I figured that one out.  Candy and I are dieting and participating in the OKC Weight Loss Challenge.  We started this program a couple of weeks ago, I weighed in at a whopping 264 lbs.!  So now everyone knows how fat you have to get before you do something about it.  This is the most that I have ever weighed in my life.  Today I weighed in at 246 lbs.,   I have been living a sedentary lifestyle since just before Christmas, no more.  I am taking my health and life seriously now, we are eating right and walking for exercise.  The challenge lasts for 12 weeks and I am hoping in that time to lose at least 35 lbs.  My ultimate goal is to get down below 200 lbs.  I'm a big guy and I will always be a big guy, but, I refuse to be huge any longer.  In less than a year I went from 222 lbs. to 264 lbs., that goes to show you what sitting on your big fat butt can do for you.

Sitting here at my desk I just looked over at my bookshelf, funny thing there sit 8 cookbooks and 6 of them are based on healthy eating.  Guess that I should have been looking at them long before now.   I just scanned through one of them called Fat Free Living, sure enough, there are foods that you can eat that have no fat in them, amazing.  My past philosophy would have been to eat whatever Candy cooked out of there with a big ole spoonful of lard or butter to grease the way down for it.  Funny thing, I have noticed lately that food doesn't need grease to slide down your throat.  So now I found out that you can read on food packaging and there is nutritional information printed right on the packaging.  The information is not always easy to decypher, they get sneaky and give you information based on serving size.  The answer to the serving size question was not one that I found particularly great.  For your information the serving size for ice cream is not a whole carton, I didn't care for that little piece of knowledge.  Serving size for potato chips, 8 chips.  I'm here to tell you that is just about enough to piss off a fat guy.  The big one is bread, I love bread.  Better leave the bread alone, a sandwich has as many calories as a four ounce portion of grilled chicken, 2 cups of steamed vegetables and a salad undressed.  I don't know about you, but, the chicken and vegetables sound a lot more filling.

I should have taken notice when all of my clothes shrunk up too small for me to wear.  I just thought that the dryer was malfunctioning.  My recliner kept going ugh! when I sat down!  My shoes got to difficult too tie so I bought slip-ons.  Isn't it amazing how a fat guy can rationalize away being fat.  Through out the years we have been referred to as Stout, Big Boned, Hefty, King Sized, Tubby, Chunky and Pleasingly Plump.  It is time to put away the nicities, if you see me sitting at a table stuffing my face with pie just yell out "Hey, fat ass, push away from the table."  That type of comment will do me more good than bad.  If left alone I can and will eat myself into a big fat coffin.  I charge everyone with loved ones who are fat to help them get control of their lives.  Eat healthy with them, walk with them and force them to push away from the table.  You will save their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment